Thursday, November 8, 2012

Healthy Cookies

My husband, Mitchell and I have really made a conscious effort to eat more healthy these past few weeks.  At times it has been hard, we both are MAJOR sugar addicts.  So I was incredibly grateful when our sister-in-law, Ashley, shared this recipe.  Thanks Ashley!


I didn't have any pineapple on hand so I used pumpkin instead.  I also used applesauce instead of oil so I wouldn't feel as guilty about adding some chocolate chips.

1 c. carrots, finely grated 
  1/4 c. pineapple, drained and crushed
  1/2 c. almond milk
  2 egg whites
   1/4 c. canola oil
  1 tsp. vanilla extract
  3/4 c. brown sugar
  1 c. white whole-wheat flour
 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  2 tbsp. flax seeds (optional)
 1 tsp. cinnamon
  1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  1 1/2 c. rolled oats
   1 c. raisins or chocolate chips (optional)
  1/2 c. walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)

1.       Preheat oven to 375 and lightly grease cookie sheet.
2.       Combine carrots, pineapple, milk, egg whites, oil, vanilla, and brown sugar in a medium sized bowl.
3.       In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, flax seeds, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
4.       Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients while stirring.
5.       Add rolled oats and stir, and then add raisins and nuts.
6.       Let sit for a few minutes (5-10) to let oats soak up a bit of moisture.

7.       Drop in spoonfuls on cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes. Makes approximately 30 cookies.



I was a little worried because the dough was thinner than I was anticipating....




But they turned out great! 



No comments: