Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole

We have had this meal two times now.  The first time I didn't add the cabbage, and, although we loved it, it was a bit too carby.  So tonight I added the cabbage and it was an even bigger hit than the first time!  It's not very often I make something that gets the Two Thumbs Up from everyone at the table!

· 2-3 large sweet potatoes, diced (I leave my peels on, but you could peel them)

· 1/2 head of cabbage--shredded and cooked

· 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (I used the 1/3 fat kind)

· 4 green onions, chopped OR 1/4 cup chopped onion

· 2-3 teaspoons chili powder

· 1-2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)

· 1 teaspoon dried oregano

· 1/2 teaspoon salt

· 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

· 12 (7 inch) corn tortillas

· 1 (19 ounce) can green enchilada sauce

· 1-2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium heat, and boil the sweet potatoes until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain.

2. Place the sweet potatoes in a bowl, and mash them with the cream cheese, green onions, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper until well mixed.  Add the cooked cabbage (well-drained) and stir. Taste it to make sure it's got enough seasoning

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)

4. Spread about 1/3 of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the pan. 

5. Create a layer of corn tortillas (you'll probably have to rip some in half to adequately cover the bottom of your pan)

6. Spread 1/3 of the sweet potato mixture over the tortillas

7. Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese

8. Repeat steps 4-7 two more times, ending with sprinkled cheese on the top

9. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until the enchiladas are bubbling and the cheese is beginning to brown.

4 comments:

merathon said...

i'm totally trying these, but since i'm weird about sweet potatoes, i'll sub butternut squash and then of course some dairy subs. sounds delish!

Mirien said...

I made this for dinner tonight and we all liked it (all 10 of us!). I used sweet potatoes (Meredith, you'd like them in this--Mitchell did) but I had no cabbage so I decided to use a couple of layers of black beans. We will definitely make this again.

kelly said...

Hi there...I followed you from My angle of repose .. :-)...my 10 year old daughter Mya is flirting with becoming a Vegetarian, and I so want to allow her the space to do as she pleases, and have been looking for some different foods to cook for her, that we all can eat too :-) im about to spend a little more time scrolling through your blog and save some recipe's....
from kelly your newest follower :-)

Rose said...

Yum! We ate this for dinner tonight and loved it; even the kids, 7,5,2. I subbed frozen chopped spinach for the cabbage and added a can of black beans. The seasoning was perfect and we will definitely have this again.