- 4 medium zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 of an onion, diced
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup of small cherry tomatoes (or just cut up a fresh tomato or two)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound farfalle, or another pasta shape (Barilla plus works well)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6-8 ounces Gorgonzola (key ingredient--don't skimp)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, finely julienne
- freshly grated Parmesan (optional)
Wash the zucchini and trim the ends, then grate them on the largest side of a box grater and set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat the oil and butter and sauté the onion and mushrooms over medium heat, stirring, until the vegetables soften and begin to turn translucent. Add the minced garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Add the zucchini and tomatoes to the pan and sauté until the zucchini begins to soften and wilt.
In the meantime, add the pasta to the boiling water and stir occasionally as the pasta cooks.
Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. When the pasta is almost done (the timing here is important if you want a hot meal) add the lemon juice, 1/4 of a cup of the pasta cooking water and the Gorgonzola to the zucchini mixture, stirring to melt the cheese. Stir in the parsley and basil and let the mixture simmer gently for a moment or two.
Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking water in case it is needed; add the pasta to the saucy zucchini mixture and toss to coat it completely. Let the pasta cook in the pan for a minute, adding a splash of the reserved cooking water if the sauce seems too tight. Transfer to a warm bowl and serve immediately. Top with Paremsan if desired. Enjoy!