Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Spinach Lasagna

My sister-in-law Paige gave me her lasagna recipe years ago.  I made a few modifications to it and this is the only lasagna recipe I’ve used ever since.  It has NEVER not turned out!

1 16-oz. pkg lasagna noodles, rinsed in hot water (I always use the whole grain noodles)

4 cups spaghetti sauce (whatever your favorite kind is)

1 cup water

8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced

1 16 oz. bag frozen spinach

1 16 oz. container nonfat ricotta cheese

1 egg beaten

8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese

1/3 cup water

¼ cup parmesan cheese

1 Tbsp. parsley flakes

dash nutmeg

½ cup parmesan cheese

Put sauce, 1 cup water, and mushrooms in saucepan and bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Thaw and squeeze all the water out of the spinach (I wrap it in a towel and then wring the towel out). In large bowl, mix together: spinach, ricotta cheese, egg, mozzarella cheese, 1/3 cup water, ¼ cup parmesan cheese, parsley flakes, nutmeg. Assemble lasagna in 9x13 pan as follows:

  1. 1 2/3 cups sauce
  2. lasagna noodles (3 lengthwise, 1 crosswise—break to fit)
  3. ½ cheese mixture
  4. 1 2/3 cups sauce
  5. lasagna noodles
  6. rest of cheese mixture
  7. 1 2/3 cups sauce
  8. lasagna noodles
  9. rest of sauce
  10. sprinkle with ½ cup parmesan cheese

Bake at 375°F, covered with foil for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.

*Dairy free variation:  Substitute one container of firm tofu for the ricotta cheese.  Mash tofu and then mix with the other ingredients in the cheese mixture, using a vegan mozzarella cheese and vegan parmesan cheese substitute.  I once had a dinner party where I made the regular version and the dairy-free one.  I told everyone that they were made differently, but didn’t tell them how.  People said they could taste a slight difference but no one could figure out what I had changed!  They loved them both.

4 comments:

Maren said...

I have to agree, I've made this lasagna many many times and it is awesome. So glad you put the recipe in the girls night cookbook!

I usually use cottage cheese in place of the ricotta, but I like the tofu idea. I've never tried vegan cheeses, but I might have to! (I'm reading China Study...)

Janine said...

We made this last night for dinner. I tried the dairy free version, and it was amazingly difficult to tell the difference. Mainly, I didn't feel weighed down after the meal. The only dairy we used was parmesan on top. It was great! Thanks for sharing.

mkt said...

Try replacing the nutmeg with a tablespoon of fennel seeds... it gives it a really fresh taste, especially combined with fresh spinach (just give it a whirl in the food processor to chop it up)!

Vigoren Family said...

KC said, "I could be vegetarian if you cook like this every night!" Yummy! :)