Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sesame Skillet Stir-Fry

This is my version of fried rice.  It's quick to stir together when I have leftover rice.  I use whatever vegetables I have on hand.  The recipe lists the veggies I used in the picture below, but I've also used mushrooms, broccoli, red peppers, bok choy, and green beans.  (Sorry--I don't take good food pictures.  It tastes much better than it looks, I promise.  Maybe Meredith can make it and take a better picture for me!)  This recipe makes a lot--enough for my family of 8 with a little leftover for lunch the next day.  You might want to reduce the quantities if you're not serving such a big group.
Posted by Picasa
2 cups dry brown rice
2 T. sesame oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 c. sliced green onions
6 c. shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw
1 c. shredded carrots
1 c. sliced celery
3 c. fresh spinach, chopped
2 c. frozen peas
2-3 T. soy sauce
crushed red pepper, to taste
peanuts or cashews for garnish

Cook rice according to directions. In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat sesame oil over medium high heat. Saute garlic and onions in oil for 2 minutes. Add cabbage, carrots, celery, and spinach and stir 2-3 minutes until wilted. Add cooked rice, soy sauce, and red pepper to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon for mild, more if you like spicy). Stir and cook 3 minutes more. Add peas and cook 2 more minutes.  Top with nuts, if desired.

The original recipe called for ground beef, but I never make it that way, of course.  One time I used Morningstar Farms veggie sausage crumbles and my kids especially loved it.

1 comment:

Rice Palette said...

I always enjoy reading other people's version of fried rice! This looks excellent! I like the addition of sesame :0)