Friday, May 21, 2010

Tikka Masala

IMG_2897

1 Tbsp olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger

3 carrots, sliced

2 stalks celery, sliced

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp black pepper

1 ½ Tbsp ground cumin

4 tsp paprika

2 tsp salt, or to taste

16 oz. tomato sauce

2 cups soy creamer

2 cans garbanzo beans

¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

Sauté garlic and ginger in olive oil over medium heat for a couple minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook for a few more minutes. Season with cinnamon, pepper, cumin, paprika, and salt, then stir in tomato sauce, creamer, and garbanzo beans. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Serve over brown rice and sprinkle chopped cilantro on top.

*I’m a wimp, but if you like it spicy, add ½ a chopped jalapeno when you are cooking the ginger and garlic.

11 comments:

Kathryn and Tyler said...

Just wanted to say that I made this for dinner and my husband and I had to fight over who got to take the leftovers for lunch the next day!! Soo good!

merathon said...

glad you liked it! next time you'll have to double it! (I had the same issue at our house with my 5 year old daughter when she realized i had finished off the leftovers the next day--"you ate ALL the rest, mom? but i wanted some too!")

Erin said...

Can I use coconut milk instead of soy creamer? Or where do I buy soy creamer? I have to travel a ways to a health food store.

Thanks.

merathon said...

erin-- check at your regular grocery store in the area where you buy regular creamer because that's where they have it at mine. if not, i would think that coconut milk should work okay!

Kathryn and Tyler said...

I didn't have soy creamer so I just used almond milk and it still turned out delicious

Kathryn and Tyler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mags [Margaret] said...

We need to try this soon! YUM!

The Lenhard Family said...

I'm a friend of Emily's and love your recipes by the way! I was wondering if raw cream would work? I'm guessing but just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

merathon said...

the original recipe for tikka masala has cream in it, but i just modified it since we can't do dairy at our house. so raw cream will work just fine. let me know how you like it if you make it!

The Lenhard Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Lenhard Family said...

This was AWESOME! I loved it and couldn't get enough of the sauce! I used raw cream and added 1/2 the pepper but other than that followed it as written. Next time I'll slice the carrots a little thinner as they were crisp tender and I think I prefer them nice and soft. My mandolin came in handy here so the dish was pretty quick to prepare. Thanks for the recipe! Definitely a keeper!