Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pizza Potatoes


I got this recipe from my Whole Foods iphone app, a totally cool free app BTW. We had it for dinner tonight, it was super easy to make, I had all the ingredients on hand and my kids loved it, they didn't even know they were eating mushrooms which sometimes my 5 yr. old picks out and my husband said he'd eat it as often as I'd make it. Four thumbs up I guess. The recipe makes enough for 4 adults so we had some left overs.

4 medium russet, red or yellow potatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 zucchini, sliced
1 yellow summer squash, sliced
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
1 small yellow onion, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup marinara sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
Preheat oven to 400°F. Prick potatoes all over with a fork, brush with 1/2 tablespoon of the oil and arrange on a small baking sheet. Bake until tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. When the potatoes are almost tender, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add zucchini, squash, mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender and golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Preheat broiler. Split open potatoes, transfer to a baking dish, pour marinara over potatoes then top with zucchini mixture and mozzarella. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer to plates and serve.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I made these tonight and loved them. I left off the cheese. On my shopping list I'd just written "mushrooms" and didn't write how many, so I didn't buy nearly enough. Definitely put in all the mushrooms. Each bite that had a mushroom was so so so good. My 3 year old ate them okay, and my husband liked them.