Friday, March 19, 2010

Pea Pesto

IMG_2344

I clipped a recipe out of Good Housekeeping AGES ago and finally got around to trying it.  Of course, I didn’t decide I was going to make it until about 30 minutes before dinnertime, so I didn’t have all the ingredients, but wanted to give it a shot anyway.  I will post the original recipe and then post the modifications I made in parentheses.

16 oz. package of frozen peas

2 cloves garlic, chopped

2 Tbsp. water

2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves (16 oz. package frozen spinach)

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1/4 cup soy “Parmesan” cheese)

2 Tbsp. olive oil

3/4 tsp. salt

In microwave-safe bowl, combine peas, water, and garlic.  Cover with waxed paper and cook in microwave on high for 4 minutes or until peas are tender.  Let cool 5 minutes, then transfer pea mixture to food processor with knife blade attached.  Add basil leaves (or if using frozen spinach like me, microwave it all and then put it in a towel and squeeze out all the excess water before adding to processor), cheese, olive oil, and salt.  Process until smooth.  Makes about 1 1/2 cups pesto, enough to toss with 1 pound of cooked pasta (I used whole wheat penne).  I also added artichoke hearts when I tossed it with the pasta.  We all thought it was delicious!

IMG_2338

See another way to use this pesto here!

2 comments:

We live in a Zoo! said...

I am so excited to have found this blog! I am always on the look out for vegetarian recipes. Woohoo, I will be back! :D
This pea pesto recipe sounds very interesting, something I never would have thought of, I think I'd like to try it with the basil instead of the spinach.

Maria said...

My family of pea-haters were not fans. I used spinach, but maybe if I used basil it would mask the pea taste better. Or maybe there is a veggie that would work in place of the peas?