Saturday, February 27, 2010

Red Lentil Vegetable Soup

IMG_2025
1 cup red lentils
2 cups chopped onion (about 3 small onions)
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 cups shredded cabbage (about 1 small head of cabbage)
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
4 ½ cups liquid (strained liquid from lentils plus water)
4 ½ tsp bouillon
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon curry powder
Place the lentils into a stockpot or a Dutch oven and add water to twice the depth of the lentils. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Place a strainer over a bowl and pour lentils through, so you can save the strained water.
Put about 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil in the bottom of a big soup pot and heat over med-high heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, carrots and celery. Cook a couple minutes, until onions soften a bit. Next add the cabbage and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes to let the cabbage reduce down. Now add in tomatoes, strained liquid & water, and seasonings.  Stir in the cooked lentils.  Reduce heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and let it cook for 45 minutes. YUM!

6 comments:

Mirien said...

This looks great--where do you buy red lentils?

emilyaaa said...

we just had this tonight--and LOVED it!! I used more like 1 1/2 cups lentils, just to finish off the bag. The girls prefer "thick" soups, so it worked well!!
thanks for the recipe!!

The Dahle Family said...

I tried my approximation of this tonight and really liked it. It had a great, full flavor. I wouldn't have thought of adding that little bit of curry powder, but I think it did help to just round out the flavor. Yum!

And I buy my red lentils at Vitamin Cottage, and they're pretty cheap. If they weren't, you know I wouldn't buy 'em!

Maria said...

I made this tonight and though my husband just thought it was 'okay' my 2-year old loved it. I thought it was a little heavy on the spices, so next time I will only use 1/2 teaspoon of thyme and basil.

Erin said...

I thought it was yummy. Everyone in my family like it. This is the best blog ever. Every recipe so far has been 100% success. Thanks!

Sunny said...

I wasn't sure why to cook the lentils ahead of time, so I just put them in the pot with the water (and extra water). I didn't know if the tomatoes would keep the lentils from softening, like other beans, so I put them in after the lentils were tender just in case.

I thought the spices were just right, and loved the touch of curry. I would put in more lentils next time, and maybe less cabbage, just my preference, or maybe just what I was thinking since it was called lentil soup.

loved it--I'm hoping it freezes well, too, always needing something nutritious I can pull out of the freezer.