Friday, September 4, 2009

Spicy Black Bean Burgers

Adapted from "Recipe of the Week: Burgers" by Sally Sampson

image

4 cups cooked, rinsed and drained black beans
1/2 cup Japanese-style panko breadcrumbs
2 large eggs
4 scallions, both white and green parts, minced
3 Tbsp. (a small handful) chopped basil or cilantro, or a combination
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2-2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1-2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Place 2 cups of the black beans in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until chunky.

Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add remaining whole black beans, plus breadcrumbs, eggs, scallions, fresh herbs, garlic, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes and mix until well combined.

Portion mixture into patties about 1 inch thick. Suggested diameter: 3 inches; otherwise, the patty will be difficult to flip when cooking. Place patties on a plate or tray and chill for 15 minutes so they can set up.

When ready to cook, remove patties from fridge and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place a cast-iron skillet over high heat, without any fat; when it is hot but not smoking, add burgers to dry pan.

Cook for about four minutes on first side or until well seared and with a flipping spatula, turn onto second side and allow to cook for an additional five minutes, over medium heat.

Serve immediately with fixins': Monterey jack, cheddar or queso fresco, lettuce, fresh tomato slice, pico de gallo or jarred salsa, sour cream, avocado. Good on a soft bun or by itself.

Makes four to six burgers.

Note: I had about a cup of a mixture of leftover pinto and white beans in the fridge, so I used 3 cups black beans and 1 cup of these two other beans. I also left out the red pepper flakes cuz I’m a wimp and I also wanted to make sure it wasn’t too spicy for my girls. We all loved ‘em!

2 comments:

Tyler and Kathryn said...

Crazy, I have a recipe that is almost identical to this one and I made it LAST night for dinner! My husband who loves his meat also loves this recipe! Everybody needs this one its a winner!

jan said...

I am trying these on Tuesday (9/15) I'll let you know how they turn out! j