Thursday, September 17, 2009

Pumpkinier Muffins

Our pumpkin patch is thriving again, and this is one of our favorite ways to enjoy it! I adapted the recipe to use lots more pumpkin because we have more than we know what to do with, plus it makes the muffins more healthful. I reduced the sugar and fat and use whole wheat to seal the deal. Even if you don't grow your own pumpkins, they're pretty cheap this time of year so making your own puree is definitely a money saver! You can use the extra puree in soups or in Mirien's delicious pumpkin pasta sauce!

1 small pumpkin (about 3 ½ c. pumpkin puree, thinner than canned)
1 1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. oil
3 eggs (or substitute)
3 ½ c. whole wheat flour
2 t. cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
½ t. salt
1 T. baking soda
2 c. chocolate chips

Cut the pumpkin in half, scrape out the seeds, chop in chunks, and bake on a cookie sheet at 375 for 30-45 min, until tender. Throw the chunks, skins and all, in the blender with enough water to make it puree nicely. That makes it a bit runnier than the canned pumpkin puree, but I've adapted the muffin recipe to work well like this.

In a large bowl, mix pumpkin puree, sugar, oil, and eggs with a spoon. Add dry ingredients and mix until moist. Gently stir in chocolate chips. Fill greased or lined muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 20-23 min. Makes 2 dozen muffins.

9 comments:

Marliese said...

These sound great, Monette! Can't wait to try...

Maren said...

I love pumpkin so this looks yummy. I'm curious about Mirien's pumpkin pasta sauce, and I looked all over this site and couldn't find the recipe. Are you keeping it a secret?

merathon said...

maren-- sorry, it's a family secret!

jk-- i'll tell mirien she needs to post it. i've only made it once and she told me the recipe over the phone, so of course it ended up on some receipt or scrap that was lying around and has long since been thrown away. it was DELICIOUS, though, and now that fall weather is on its way, i'd love to make it again!

The Dahle Family said...

I just made these again this morning (when you have that much pumpkin puree in your freezer, you're not gonna make a dent in it if you only eat it in the fall) and I left out the oil completely. They taste just the same to me with no oil, so give it a try!

The Lenhard Family said...

This was a great one too! Hope you don't mind but I made a few changes I'd like to share. I'm trying to get away from using sugar as much as I can so I used sucanat instead. It's not as sweet so I had to use more. I added 2 cups of sucanat, used butter instead of oil, added 2tsp each of cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice (I prefer stronger flavors), and 1 cup of mini chocolate chips (they go a long way since there are so many). I forgot I had healthy dark chocolate chips from Good Earth (health food store) but those would have taken it to the extreme of healthy alternatives. Anyway, the texture was perfect and we all loved them! Thanks again!

The Lenhard Family said...

Hey Belinda again. Have you ever substituted shredded zucchini? Thinking this would change the consistency but looking for a good whole wheat zucchini muffin recipe and wondered if it would work. LMK ASAP if you can. Needing to make them tonight!

merathon said...

Belinda-- I have never tried zucchini before in this recipe, but since the pumpkin is most of the moisture in this, I'd recommend purreeing the zucchini because that releases more liquid than shredding. I've done that before when I was winging it with a healthy zucchini bread recipe and it worked pretty well!! Have fun experimenting!

The Lenhard Family said...

So did you not strain the liquid at all then?

merathon said...

Nope, no need to strain. At least I didn't, and it worked well!