Friday, August 14, 2009

Vegetarian Meat Loaf


Yet another lovely lentil recipe. This one is great, it tastes just like meatloaf, the right flavors and textures. There was plenty left over with just the two of us, but it was eaten quickly.
  • 1 1/8 cups dried lentils
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon of bouillon of your choice (i chose tomato)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 packet dry onion soup mix
  • 6 slices wheat bread, torn into small pieces
  • ketchup to squeeze on top
  1. Combine lentils and water and bouillon in a pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat a little, and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. (If you cooked your lentils earlier it would save 30 minutes in preparation)
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together 2 cups cooked drained lentils, eggs, broth (water with bouillon), ketchup, soy sauce, basil, garlic powder, black pepper, parsley, olive oil, and dry soup mix. Then mix in the bread. Mash into prepared pan.
  4. Bake for 50 minutes. Squeeze on some ketchup, and continue baking another 10 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving or trying to get out of the pan.

9 comments:

Tyler and Kathryn said...

I have tons of Lentils right now and I have only made soup. So I am stoked to try something new!

Victoria said...

I can't wait to try this. Do I have to use 3 eggs? Lots of cholesterol!

Mitchell said...

I have tried it with 2 eggs and it doesn't stick together quite as well. You could try an egg substitute, like flax seeds. And it does make a large loaf, so the cholesterol is spread out. Still much more healthful than meat.

Erin said...

I made this, and just for a review for others, it doesn't taste "real." We're still getting into the vegetarian thing, and eat meat sometimes, so we remember what real meat loaf tastes like. But it's pretty close, especially the flavor. Mostly the texture is different. But still a great alternative, because I hate to give up meat loaf. Thanks!

Erin said...

I take it back, this tastes real. The first time I tried to break the bread up small. But the second time since I used homemade bread, I just rubbed the pieces together and they just crumbled into tiny pieces. That made all the difference. The texture and taste are so yummy.

Sunny said...

Do you drain the lentils reserving the broth, then put the right amount of broth back in? I doubled the recipe and my loaves fell apart, I'm guessing because I had too much liquid. (It's hard to drain that much.) Might have also been because I fudged the lentil measurement because I soaked them overnight before I looked at the recipe that measured them dry. Tasted good to me, but the presentation didn't quite make it past the kids, and they are quit visually influenced.

merathon said...

sunny-- yes, definitely drain those lentils first! next time, maybe put in less broth than the recipe calls for and then you can add more if it seems too dry once you've put all the bread in.

you just reminded me i haven't made this in a while, so i'll need to make it again soon!

transom said...

I just tried this and it turned out great. I was worried about the consistency because of previous comments, but it was fine. Some at my table were skeptical, but everyone ended up enjoying it. Thanks!

transom said...

that was actually Marliese commenting...transom didn't actually make this for dinner--I wish.