Thursday, August 13, 2009

Simple Lentil Curry

This was VERY easy to make, especially since I had some lentils that I had already cooked (since the lentils I had were cooked i skipped to step 2). The thing that took the longest was cooking the rice. It tasted great, I highly recommend it and I'll be making it again very soon.

  • 1/2 cup dried lentils
  • 2 cups water
  • 3/4 cup canned lite unsweetened coconut milk
  • green onion
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • salt to taste
1. Put the lentils and water in a pot on high heat. Bring to a boil, then cover, and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
2. Stir in the curry paste, coconut milk, onion and season with salt to taste. Return to a simmer, and cook for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until tender and as saucy as you like.
3. Serve over rice, or whatever else you like.

6 comments:

emilyaaa said...

we made this the other night and loved it! my 12 month old could feed it to herself without me cutting anything up, or taking anything out--and i LOVE that! And my older girls just devoured it! I tripled the recipe, 'cause i wanted to use the whole can of coconut milk (which wasn't lite...by the way...but ohhhh so good :) ) And i mixed in a little bit of cinnamon into the curry powder. i also tried this little trick i just heard about--i didn't add any salt to the meal while cooking it, and only added it at the table. We ended up only adding 1/4 tsp of salt total!! Apparently your taste buds sense salt more if it's right on the surface of your food, rather than cooked into it. Makes sense...and REALLY good for this salt-addict to know :)
thanks for the lentil recipes!

Maria said...

This was really great! I made a couple of modifications--I added about 1 TBL lemon juice (for a little added kick) and about 1/2 tsp of sugar. I didn't have green onions so I just used a couple dashes of onion powder. My kids and husband (who is usually against meatless meals) all loved it. You should post this on allrecipes.com.

Erin said...

I've never used coconut milk. Do you need it, or can you use rice milk? My husband hates the coconut flavor. Does it give the food a coconut flavor?

merathon said...

i hope that mitchell will weigh in on this because i haven't made this one yet, but i HAVE made other dishes with coconut milk where you definitely did not taste a coconut flavor. coconut milk is just a very common ingredient in curry/Thai dishes.

Erin said...

Okay, I made it and it was delicious. No coconut flavor. I can't believe how much sat. fat coconut milk has. I don't know why that surprises me, and I know a lot of people think it's still good for you. But I think next time I just might try almond milk. Sort of creamy. I guess we'll see how it goes.

The Dahle Family said...

So good and easy! We loved it, Mitchell! In fact, I liked it lots better than other ways I've tried to do lentil curry, where I added lots of vegetables to it. I like it like this, just straight up, with some lightly curried veggies on the side. Thanks!