Saturday, June 27, 2009

Pesto

My sister gave me this idea, and it's so great!! Mer--you are going to love this!!!

Do you ever buy one of these big Spring Mixes from Costco and find that one or two days later it's already starting to wilt?

My sister, Melanie, told me that she uses this instead of using fresh basil (which i LOVE, but is a bit pricey) in her favorite pesto recipe!! And i tried it--and it was AMAZING!!!! It's sooo good!! My kids all devoured it, and we had company over and i served it on Mahi-Mahi and no one could believe what it was they were eating.

I just threw about 3 cups of the salad greens into the blender with
a clove of fresh garlic
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
sea salt
enough olive oil to get my blender to blend it all together

I made 3 batches, and froze a bunch. It freezes really well.

I'm still trying to decide what to call it. Spring Pesto? Pesto with a Zesto? Pesto for the heart? Deceptive Pesto? Your Mom Would Be So Proud Pesto? I dunno-- I still haven't decided :)
Enjoy!

5 comments:

merathon said...

thanks, emily! i'm sure i would love it, but an unfortunate incident a couple weeks ago helped us realize that berkeley is allergic to pine nuts. i wonder what you could use instead of pine nuts in a pesto...

Erin said...

meredith- i didn't make this recipe but i made (regular) pesto last week and didn't have pinenuts (okay i am too cheap to buy them- they're crazy expensive!) so i used pecans, though i have heard that you can substitute walnuts also. the pesto tasted great with the pecans.

Mirien said...

I tried this and used walnuts. It turned out great! I loved using my wilting lettuce this way. Next time I may use spinach--has anyone tried that?

The Dahle Family said...

Oh yeah, I've made pesto numerous times with spinach as the leaf. I have always added dry basil, in addition to the garlic and salt and stuff. And since we're on a budget, I've never used pine nuts, and it still tastes great.

merathon said...

i finally made this tonight using cashews and some soy cheese-- it was a hit! thanks, emily! (i did add a little lemon juice to brighten the flavor a bit.)