Monday, June 29, 2009

Ginger-Cumin Infused Carrot, Zucchini & Chickpea "Pasta"

Serves 4

1 small green zucchini
1 small yellow zucchini
1 large carrot
1/2 onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and grated (I used half this amount)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
pepper and salt to taste

1. Using a vegetable peeler, slice zucchini and carrots into long, fettuccini-like strips. Set aside.

2. Meanwhile, slice the onion into very thin pieces and separate them into strips. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add onion, allowing the strips to gently 'sweat' until soft, about 5 minutes.

3. Add the broth, zucchini and carrots. Allow the vegetables to cook for about 3 or 4 minutes. Add the chickpeas, ginger, cumin, salt and pepper.

4. Simmer for about 5 minutes, taste, adjust seasoning, and serve hot.

I found this recipe in Natural Health Magazine. We really enjoyed this dish and the kids LOVED using the peeler to slice all the zucchini and carrots. I went easy on the ginger so that they would eat it but next time I think I'll just follow the recipe and add all of it.

2 comments:

Tyler and Kathryn said...

I am going to school to become a Registered Dietician at Bastyr University I am always on the lookout for healthy recipes, so I'm glad I found your site! I tried out this recipe the other day and really enjoyed it, thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

I made this, and this is what I thought: I thought it was decent, but my husband and 3 year old seemed to enjoy it. I just thought the chickpeas didn't really fit in. They were just kind of there, kind of dry, kind of flavorless. However, I thought the veggies were delicious. A yummy flavor for them (and I don't really usually like zucchini very much). So I would probably make this again as a side dish and leave out the chickpeas. I also think I should have put in the carrots in the pan for a few minutes before I put in the zucchinis because they were a little bit harder/crunchier. I think I would have liked them soft. And maybe do 2 large carrots instead of one.