Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fettuccine with Artichokes and Beans

I've made this 3 times already since finding it in the Real Simple Magazine October 2008. It's perfect for kids and those times you're craving 'creamy' pasta without the dairy.

3/4 pound fettuccine
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
1 13.75-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered (I've also used a bag of frozen artichokes from Trader Joe's)
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 slice whole wheat bread, toasted
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the beans, artichokes, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Pulse the bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Add the oregano and the remaining teaspoon of oil and pulse until just combined. Toss the pasta with the artichoke mixture and reserved pasta water. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs.

Makes 4 servings

2 comments:

merathon said...

i can't wait to try this Rose! sounds so good! i'm glad you joined our blog.

Erin said...

I made this and it was so good. The only thing I would say is next time I'll half the noodles. They overpowered the flavor of the other things, which are so good. Also, since there's no picture, I thought I'd point out, it's not creamy in the sense I'm used to creamy. The beans and the artichokes aren't blended up, so they're just chunks. But it's SOO yummy. Thanks!

5 for 5 yummies. This never happens. Usually half of my experimental recipes are gross.