Friday, September 21, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookies (less fat, less sugar, and more nutritional value!)

Aaron was telling a health-conscious co-worker about how I make such great low-fat chocolate chip cookies by replacing the shortening with Morning Moos powdered milk. However, I had actually never done that when he made the claim yesterday. I had perfected that trick with Snickerdoodles, but had never gotten it to work out quite right with chocolate chip cookies. Of course I didn't want my sweet husband to be a liar, so I set out this morning to make his claim true. And I think I succeeded. Taste for yourself.

1/3 c. oil
1/2 c. dry Morning Moos (powdered milk)
1/4 c. water
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 T. vanilla
3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 1/2 - 2 c. chocolate chips

Mix oil, powdered milk, water, and sugars together. Add eggs and vanilla and beat for a minute or two with a mixer. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Add chocolate chips. Grease the cookie sheets. Put blobs of dough on the sheet and flatten them with the greased palm of your hand. Flattening them before baking makes them turn out MUCH better. Bake at 340 for 7 minutes. (I know 340 is a weird temp, but for some reaosn, it seems like the powdered milk makes them need a slightly lower temp.)

Yes, I am aware that I am the only one who posts desserts on this vegetarian blog. But baked goods are the only way I keep my husband truly satisfied with a vegetarian diet. So it might work for others of you out there.

2 comments:

merathon said...

i'll have to try these out. don't worry about posting desserts. i hadn't posted any just cuz most desserts are vegetarian, but that doesn't mean we never make any. i'm happy to put some up if you'd like!

i make a cookie that sounds similar to your recipe. they have no fat (except for the chocolate chips), but use molasses and powdered milk and they have oats as well as the whole wheat flour.

Nicole said...

I would love the Snickerdoodle recipe you have perfected!